UM-NSU CARD Transition & Adult Services:
Oprime aquí para leer Full Spectrum en Español.
UM-NSU CARD's transition to adulthood newsletter.
- Support Groups
- Social Outings
- Technical Assistance to Agencies and Professionals
Direct Assistance to Families in a variety of settings:
- CARD office
- School & Transition program
- Adult Programs
- Employment or Volunteer settings
- With professionals, agencies, or in other community settings
Transition Planning Information:
- Transition Information & Considerations
- Diploma options
- School & community-based transition services and programs
- Post-secondary Options such as: work, day programs, college or technical school, residential programs, volunteering
- Transition & Adult services and supports
Consultation, Information, & Resource Referral related to:
- Professionals-doctors, therapists, psychologists, etc.
- Leisure & Recreational Activities
- Social Security
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- APD & Medicaid Waiver
- Affordable Housing
- Disclosure & Accommodations in the workplace and in post-secondary settings
- Other Agencies, Benefits, and Programs
- And more...
Transition planning is the process of planning for youth to move from high school to post-secondary community settings. These could include settings such as: college, vocational training, supported employment, group or independent living, and many others. Youth with and without disabilities can benefit by developing a plan for life after high-school. In many cases, a smooth transition requires planning and collaboration between the youth, family, school, and identified community personnel. IDEA 2004 provides for students who are eligible for Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) to develop Transition IEPs as early as 14 years old, or younger, if necessary. Goals on Transition IEPs address the individual’s functional and academic skills that should be targeted now in order to prepare the student to meet his or her future goals.
Use the links below to learn about effective transition planning.
- Transition Planning for Students with Disabilities: http://www.fldoe.org/ese/pdf/trangide.pdf
- FYI Transition: http://www.fyitransition.org/
- Project 10, Transition Education Network: http://www.project10.info/
- Dare To Dream: http://www.fldoe.org/ese/pdf/dream.pdf
- Dare to Dream for Adults: http://info.fldoe.org/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-1415/SIMPLYatt.pdf
- Diploma Decisions for Students with Disabilities: http://www.fldoe.org/ese/pdf/diploma.pdf
- Measuring Adaptive Behavior: http://www.fldoe.org/ese/pdf/measure_adapt.pdf
- Partners In Transition: http://partnersintransition.fmhi.usf.edu/index.html
- Life Journey Through Autism: http://www.researchautism.org/resources/reading/documents/TransitionGuide.pdf
- Planning Ahead: http://www.fddc.org/sites/default/files/file/publications/PlanningAheadFinal.pdf
- Wright’s Law—Transition: http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/trans.index.htm
- National Center on Secondary Education and Transition:
- National Alliance for Secondary Education and Transition Toolkit for Systems Improvement: http://www.nasetalliance.org/docs/TransitionToolkit.pdf
- The Rural Institute: http://ruralinstitute.umt.edu/transition/default.asp
- Transition Coalition: http://transitioncoalition.org/transition/m odule_home.php
- OCALI Transition Guide