Welcome to UM-NSU CARD Online!
What is UM-NSU CARD?
UM-NSU CARD is a comprehensive outreach and support program
serving people with autism and related disabilities, their families, and
the professionals who work with them. UM-NSU CARD operates in three Florida counties under the
supervision of a constituency board comprised of family members who help
guide program policy priorities and activities. Our Services Include:
- Individual & Family Support Services
- Program Consultation & Technical Assistance
- Parent & Professional Training
- Public Awareness & Community Outreach
CARD seeks to provide support and assistance with the goal of optimizing the potential of people with autism, dual sensory impairment, and related disabilities.
What is CARD?
Florida is home to many individuals with autism and related disabilities. In response to their needs, as well as those of their families, seven regional, nonresidential resource centers have been established at Florida State University, the University of Central Florida, the University of Florida at Gainesville, the University of Florida Health Science Center at Jacksonville, the University of South Florida, Florida Atlantic University and the University of Miami & Nova Southeastern University (UM-NSU CARD). UM-NSU CARD provides services within a three county catchment area that includes Miami-Dade, Broward, and Monroe Counties.
UM-NSU CARD serves both children and adults of all levels of intellectual functioning who have autism, pervasive developmental disorders, autistic-like disabilities, dual sensory impairments, or sensory impairments with other disabling conditions. Our primary focus is to provide individualized, direct assistance to these individuals and their families. Services include family support, technical assistance and consultation, parent and professional training programs, and public education activities. CARD services are designed to build on the capacities of state and local resources, not to duplicate or replace them. UM-NSU CARD is funded by the Florida Legislature through the Florida Department of Education, and all services are provided free of charge.
UM-NSU CARD maintains fully-staffed offices in Coral Gables, Davie and North Miami Beach (see Locations section for further details). CARD is founded on the strong belief that:
- All people, regardless of their abilities or disabilities, have the right to live as full participants in society.
- All people have the right to be treated with dignity and understanding.
- People with disabilities are members of families. All families have strengths and capacities and have the right to be treated with sensitivity and respect and as integral members of a person's system of support.
- People with autism and related disabilities have the right to be regarded as individuals who need services and supports that are based on their unique characteristics.
As a policy, CARD will not lend its name to the endorsement of any specific program, practice, or model that is offered for service to people with autism and related disabilities. This policy does not preclude the provision of referral options or individualized recommendations by CARD staff, nor does it imply that CARD staff are to refrain from sharing any knowledge or personal experiences. The sharing of information, training, and the development of recommendations are key functions of the CARD programs.